What is the Safer Drivers Course?
Select from one of the following Western Sydney locations to book in your Safer Drivers Course:
Learn to Drive Driving School is an accredited provider of the Transport for NSW Safer Drivers Course. Learners who complete the Safer Drivers Course receive 20 hours of log book credits.
The Safer Drivers Course is designed by Transport for NSW. The Course teaches young drivers under 25 years how to reduce road risks and therefore become safer drivers.
How Much Does The Safer Drivers Course Cost?
The safer drivers course costs $140 including GST and is subsidised by Transport for NSW.
How Long Does The Safer Drivers Course Go For?
The Safer Driver Course consists of 2 modules and combines a theoretical class and practical driving session over a 5-hour period for $140.
What are the Safer Drivers Course requirements?
There are 3 requirements for the course. They are:
- You must hold a valid NSW Learners Licence.
- You must have completed a minimum of 50 Log Book hours of on road driving.
- Some night driving must be recorded in your log book.
Safer Drivers Course Overview
The course will help Students to develop the skills required to drive safely including:
- Speed management.
- Safe following distances.
- Crash avoidance space.
- Gap selection.
- Hazard perception.
- Decision making.
What Are The Benefits of the Safer Drivers Course?
The primary benefits of the course are:
- How to identify hazards on the road and minimise the risk of a crash.
- How to be a good defensive driver.
- Gaining 20 log book hours.
- Learn tactics of being a ‘low risk driver’.
- Learn how to be a better P plate driver.
This course helps prepare learner drivers for the transition to driving unsupervised when they get their provisional drivers licence.
Students will be able to implement the skills and knowledge they learn in this course on the road with a qualified driving instructor. Being able to make informed decisions is extremely important for learners as it will reduce risks and anticipate avoidable hazardous situations.
The Safer Drivers Course consists of 2 modules
Module 1 – Theory
Module 1 is a 3-hour theory/workshop session conducted by a qualified facilitator. During this part of the course, you will learn how to identify and manage the risks associated with driving. With a maximum of 12 students in a class you will have the opportunity to work with your peers to improve your road safety awareness.
- A three-hour interactive facilitated group discussion.
- The discussion will involve up to 12 learner drivers.
- Learn about driver behaviours and how to implement strategies and techniques to become a safer driver.
- The session explores challenges that may arise and how to deal with external influences.
- The discussion is supported by videos and activities to keep the session engaging.
Module 2 – Practical
Module 2 is a 2 hour in car driving session. Two students are paired at a time and will take turns in driving with a qualified driving instructor. In the coaching session the student will get the opportunity to put into practice what was learned in Module 1. The session is aimed at teaching young learners how to identify risks and minimise risk taking behaviour. The coaching session focuses on educating the students to become proactive and safe drivers.
- A two-hour on road coaching session with 2 students conducted by an experienced and qualified driving instructor.
- The coaching sessions are aimed at eliminating the major crash types that occur on NSW roads.
- Participants will get the opportunity to have a number of drives on set routes.
- Students will gain practical skills at speed management, gap selection, following distances, hazard perception and more.
The Safer Drivers course is the next step in your journey to become a lifelong safe driver. The sessions are informative, fun and engaging and will teach you valuable driving skills.
Refreshments are provided on the day.
Select from one of the following locations to book in your Safer Drivers Course:
The Safer Drivers Course Logo is a trademark of Transport for NSW, 18 Lee St, Chipendale NSW.